I was driving home today from work when Miranda Lambert’s song ‘The House That Built Me’ came on the radio. I immediately thought of the family that built me, but when thinking about it more, it’s more like the people that built me. Everyone who crosses your path is for a reason. What reason my that be? Well let’s find out…
- To the people who thought I was a pushover, thank you for making me stand my ground.
- To the people who thought I was easy, thank you for reaffirming my morals twice over.
- To the people who thought I was stupid when I’m not, thank you for confirming my intelligence.
- To the people who tried to play me, thank you because I’m not falling for the games, the bullshit, or sweet talk.
- To the people who I met in school, thank you for becoming my friends, teaching me how to support others, appreciate others, just to walk away… I forgive you and I thank you for showing me what true friendship is.
- To the people who thought I was an addict, thank you for making me see more into myself so I don’t end up one.
- To the people who bullied me, thank you for making me a fighter.
- To the people I hurt, I’m sorry for hurting you. I did not mean too.
- To the people who ignored me, thank you for making me voice my opinion even louder.
- To the people who think I’m a bitch. Thanks I’m not a bitch, but I can be if you talk about the people Iove.
- To the people who thought I was pretty and thought I was a model, thank you. I really do appreciate compliments like that. I am confident on the inside, but can be a sinking boat inside. Your compliments remind me that I’m pretty on the inside and out.
- To the people who think life doesn’t matter, every life matters. Thank you for showing me my life matters.
- To the people who thought I didn’t care when I truly do, you underestimated me. I will be successful.
- To the people who thought I was angry, I wasn’t. Only the people that matter will see the angry side of me.
- To the person who wasn’t there during certain times in my life, thank you for making me the strong woman I am.
- To the person who thought I could do it myself, thank you. I can. I realized I can do anything I put my mind too.
- To the person who is always there for me, thank you for listening to me and helping make things better.
- To the person that made me realized I didn’t have a childhood, thank you. I didn’t, you’re right, but I’m at the age where I’m making up for it.
- To the person who thought I was broken, I’m not broken. You didn’t have it to begin with.
- To the person who thought I was too good for you, thank you. You just showed me what insecurity looks like.
- To the people who hurt me over and over again, thank you. You tested my emotions time and time again. Yet, I didn’t break. I came out stronger than ever.
I’m still meeting people who are teaching me life lessons and reaffirming lessons I already learned. God, please keep bringing in new people into my life so I can learn from them and they can learn from me.
For those who never heard the song here are the lyrics:
Miranda Lambert ‘The House That Built Me”
I know they say, you can’t go home again
I just had to come back one last time
Ma’am I know, you don’t know me from Adam
But these handprints on the front steps are mine
Up those stairs, in that little back bedroom
Is were I did my homework and I learned to play guitar
And I bet you didn’t know, under that live oak
My favorite dog is buried in the yard
I thought if I could touch this place, I’d feel it
This brokeness inside me might start healin’
Out here it’s like I’m someone else
I thought that maybe I could find myself
If I could just come in I swear I’ll leave, won’t take nothin’ but a memory
From the house that, built me
Mama cut out pictures of houses for years
From Better Homes and Garden magazine
Plans were drawn of concert pour, nail by nail and board by board
Daddy gave life to mama’s dream